This page pulls together all the articles on Inclusiveteach.com relating to the recruitment process. I have worked in SEN Schools for my entire teaching career. working in special schools or specialist provision is not a job for everyone and that is why the recruitment process is so important. As a school leader I am always seeking ways to improve the process, both for the school, and for the applicants – Here is a reflection about making the interview process more inclusive. I have seen potentially fantastic candidates struggle due to both nerves and a lack of preparation.
Finding your Why?
It can be really difficult to make the jump to a new role or school. I would suggest if you have only worked in mainstream to arrange a visit to the school, or discussion with an SEN teacher. It will be very different but your skills as an educator will be just as applicable. I have worked with brilliant staff who have moved from other industries. Primarily care roles but also retail, construction and straight from education themselves. One of the common things most successful applicants have is a secure knowledge of why they are applying for the job. I really recommend this book by Simon Sinek for shaping your own thoughts on this.
I hope you find these articles useful. These have been written to help people get started in a career in SEN. Sometimes a person’s passion for the job can be diluted by the recruitment process and their true skills be hidden by nerves. If you only take away one thing from reading these I hope that it is the importance of being authentic in your answers. I have interviewed a lot of people and had quite a few interviews in my career – not all successful by a long way! I have taken something away from each one and hope that you can do the same.
Articles Written For Teaching Assistants
- Guide to Writing a Personal Statement for a Teaching Assistant Post
- How to answer an interview question “What are the most important qualities of a teaching assistant?”
- Interview Questions and Answers for Teaching Assistants.
Recruitment Articles for SEN Teachers
- How can teachers and teaching assistants motivate pupils to learn?
- What is special education teaching?
- Leading A Team For SEN Teachers/ECTs
- The SEND Interview Teaching Activity
- Special Education Interview Guide
- Interview Questions: Student Panel
Recruitment Articles For School Leadership Roles
- Recruitment: 100 SLT/Headteacher Interview Questions.
- Powerful Leadership Lessons From Challenging Times
- Creating the School of Joy – Useful discussion around presenting your values
- Effective Courageous and Curious Conversations for Leaders in School.
External Links to Education Job Sites/Resources
- The TES Jobs pages – A good place to start your search
- Kent-Teach – We are a Kent based site so I have included the site we advertise our vacancies on. Also lots of interesting blogs about education.