an be is a very stressful industry to work in.
However for the many teachers who would not consider working anywhere else there are ways to make the job much less stressful. In my opinion the ethos and atmosphere of your school, nursery, college can have a huge impact on staff wellbeing, retention and job satisfaction. Whilst there are many factors that influence this all staff and leaders can work towards this.
A Positive culture can be described as:
- Inspiration and happiness.
- A Place where people like coming to work
- A place where people show respect for each other
- A place where people feel supported and listened
- Students and families contribute – It is a school community, developing positive relationships with parents and carers can really help reduce areas of potential conflict.
Issues you may need to overcome
- External factors, such as home life, political input
- Low staff buy in
- Entrenched culture
How can you impact:
- Lay out a vision for people to follow this could tie in with the school’s mission statement.
- Engagement and communication with colleagues. Encourage people to talk to you about problems. Be ready to support but not take over.
- Model positive attitude at all times.
- Develop respect by practicing what you preach Show you empathise with any issues identified and foster discussion about solutions.
- Challenge poor practice through good communication in a supportive non-judgemental way.
- Maintain a positive attitude at all times – I know I have repeated myself but this really is key.
Advanced Strategies (We haven’t tried but might be nice):
- Meeting in small groups to discuss ethos and current school climate.
- Don’t do questionnaires, they are rarely engaged with meaningfully open to interpretation of questions and don’t reveal people’s underlying beliefs (which what you need to know to change culture)
- Appreciation board/postcards. Praising good practice in an informal way to boost self esteem and wellbeing of staff
- Debriefing after every incident for staff, supportive and show support is available.
Thank you for reading I hope something here is useful to you.