Teacher wellbeing updated August 2023. This post originally formed my answer to the following question “How could you put aside 5 minutes of each day to improve your wellbeing?”
For teachers and school leaders taking just 5 minutes out of their day to focus on your wellbeing can have a profound impact on your overall health and happiness. With today’s fast-paced and hectic lifestyles and the challenging times we are working in, it’s easy to neglect self-care. However, dedicating a few minutes to yourself each day can make a world of difference.
One simple way to prioritise teacher wellbeing is to start your day with a brief mindfulness exercise. Find a quiet spot where you won’t be disturbed, sit comfortably, and take a few deep breaths. As you inhale, imagine breathing in positive energy, and as you exhale, let go of any tension or stress. This mindful breathing can help calm your mind, reduce anxiety, and center yourself for the day ahead.
5 ideas to Improve Teacher Wellbeing in 5 Minutes
- Put the kettle on. Now to boost this further choose chamomile tea that you can grow in a pot on a windowsill (staffroom, classroom or office). Whilst the kettle is boiling or the drink is steeping. Reflect on something positive you are looking forward to.
- Find your Cave. Ok I stole this one from fight club. By we can adapt it here. Set a timer on your phone etc (so you don’t have to keep glancing at the clock – Also set the alarm as something quiet). Your cave could be a favourite place, holiday destination etc. then Explore, let your mind wander.
- Talk your way through a problem. Worried about something? Spend 5 minutes writing a plan. Do not stray into what if’s or possible barriers. The idea here is your subconscious may help you out later if you are confident about success.
- Declutter. Spend 5 minutes tidying that desk! having a working area that is covered n bits of paper and to-do lists can just serve to remind you of the tasks you haven’t done yet. I have some cardboard folders in a drawer labelled with each project or task I am working on. That way nothing gets forgotten and all the needed bits are together. Some distractions are now eliminated!
- Create a Jar of Success and post a success every day. This idea here is to celebrate all the little things you have accomplished. Did you manage to say hello to everyone you walked past? Did you get any feedback you are proud of? Write it on a slip of paper and put it in your Jar. When you need a boost read through them.