People Who Help Us Printable and Practical Resources.
Special education teachers are masters of adapting resources. I want to share these printable resources I have made and used. The focus of this post is the topic of People who help us with a particular focus on the Fire Brigade, the Police and the Ambulance service. There are linked resources to the emergency services on our Transport topic page.
Thanks to a donation of Happy Land figures from a Bundle of Books in Herne Bay. I was able to make my lessons on firefighters and police officers a little more engaging and tactile. These toys are so robust that after three years of use they are still going strong.
I have two PECS users in my class and 5 other students who use a variety of methods of communication. Even though the range of needs and strengths is vast I like to get the team working together on an activity. Keep reading for the free People Who Help Us SEN worksheet download links.
The tasks will be differentiated to each so some may be writing and reading, others may be exchanged for PECS reinforcers (the toys in this case) and others will be working on interaction and communication skills.
People Who Help Us: PECS and vocabulary building.
I made the video below to show how we can use the theme to introduce the “I see” vocabulary for a PECS user. The next stage would be to swap the pages so he has to choose between firefighter and police officer. I make all the communication books the same dimensions so they can be mixed up in this way.
Download the complete editable Communicate inprint widgit resources here. You will need InPrint 3 from Widgit Software to open them (Not sponsored links – I think it’s great for anyone working in SEN whether that is EYFS or even adult services).
If you don’t need to edit them download the free printable People who help us SEN worksheet PDF books below – you can just print out and even laminate if you are going to re-use them.
Additional Fire Brigade and emergency worksheets.
Click the links below to download each one (Free SEN, TEACCH workstation tasks or use as worksheets or teaching resources)
teach inclusive autism and special edu
10 More People Who Help Us Teaching Activity Ideas.
Here are 10 early years foundation stage (EYFS) teaching activity ideas about people who help us:
- Dress up – Provide props and costumes for children to role-play as doctors, firefighters, police officers etc.
- Emergency vehicles – Set up an emergency vehicle area with models for children to explore.
- Meeting real helpers – Arrange a visit from a local police officer, nurse or firefighter to meet the children.
- Storytime – Read stories featuring different helpers and discuss their jobs.
- Helping hands – Provide role-play scenarios where children help each other in the clinic, garage etc.
- Making signs – Let children make posters thanking helpers or with pictures of their vehicles/uniforms.
- Sorting helpers – Give pictures of community workers for children to categorise by job.
- Mapping the community – Draw a large map and add illustrations of local helpers’ workplaces.
- Helper packs – Set up trolleys with realistic tools/equipment for dramatic play.
- Helping each other – Play games where children have to help their friends in different situations.
cation printable resources to download for free. AAC and speech and language specialism.